How to make your newborn session A Smashing Success!!!
Booking and planning:
As soon as the baby comes, it’s non-stop late nights and hard work for Mom & Dad. Coordinating a photo session seems like the last thing on your list of priorities. This is why we recommend booking your session 2-4 months in advance of your due date to make sure everything is lined up ahead of time and you don’t have to worry!
Once your little bundle of joy arrives, please contact A2Z Photography to let us know. We will work closely with you or a family member to find a day and time that works for everyone. Newborns are best photographed under 2 weeks of age.
Before the shoot:
With a new baby – everything is new! It takes time to get into the rhythm with your little angel, and predicting when naptime will happen is generally difficult. However, if you can manage to have the baby fed and changed before the shoot, this will increase the chances of sleep!
During the shoot:
The golden rule of newborn photography: babies are unpredictable! At just a few days old, a regular feeding, sleeping, and potty schedule is out of the question. We understand this, and as a result, require a minimum of 3 hours blocked out for full sessions, and ideally 1 hour for mini sessions. Although we have our bag of tricks to make the process efficient and fun for everyone, it really all comes down to how baby’s feeling
We ask that parents help out with some of the poses while we photograph your sleeping newborn. As the main priority at A2Z is that baby remain safe and sound the entire session! Some of the images we create are called “Composite images and will require a hand on baby at all times!
Cheat Sheet for Picture day!!!
Use this step-by-step checklist to prepare for the big day and ensure fabulous photos!
The Day Before:
– Don’t schedule vaccinations the day before your session!
– Tire baby out with stimulating activities so they will want to sleep the next day
The Day Of:
– Keep baby awake at least 90 min. prior to the session
– Feed baby until she is completely full
– Ensure the diaper or any clothing isn’t strapped too tightly to avoid red marks
– Clothe baby in something easy to slip on and off without causing a disturbance
During The Session:
– If the session is in your home, crank up the heat! It should feel like a sauna! If your session is at the studio, expect it to be warm and dress in layers to keep yourselves comfortable!
– Turn on a fan or white noise to help baby sleep
– The surrounding environment should be relaxing – free from super loud noise & distraction
– Extra milk/Formula
– Extra Diaper
– Baby Wipes
– Snacks & Drinks for yourselves or any siblings
– Any Special blankets or props.
Its been an absolute pleasure to photograph so many precious babies over the years. I hope some of these tips and tricks are helpful in creating a successful session for you!
– Alicia 🙂